Categories of Lung Diseases Explained by Our Lung Doctor in Newport Beach & Foothill Ranch, CA
Any disorder that prevents the lungs from working properly is referred to as lung disease. However, there are different types of lung disease that affect the lungs in different ways. Our lung doctor in Newport Beach and Foothill Ranch, CA, explains more here.
There are three main categories of lung disease, including:
- Airway diseases — the tubes in the lungs that carry oxygen and other gases in and out of the lungs are affected by this type of disease. The airways are narrowed or blocked in the case of diseases such as asthma, COPD, and bronchiectasis.
- Lung circulation diseases — caused by scarring, inflammation, or clotting of the blood vessels in the lungs. They frequently cause shortness of breath with exercise. One type of lung circulation disease is pulmonary hypertension.
- Lung tissue diseases — these affect the lung tissue structure itself. Scarring or inflammation of the tissue restricts the lungs and makes the lungs unable to expand fully.
Most Common Lung Diseases
The most common lung diseases (of all categories) include:
- Lung cancer
- Abnormal fluid buildup in the lungs (pulmonary edema)
- Blocked lung artery (pulmonary embolism)
- Lung collapse (pneumothorax or atelectasis)
- Swelling and inflammation in the bronchial tubes that carry air to the lungs (bronchitis)
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
Diagnosis & Treatment
Treatments are different for each lung condition and may vary depending on the severity of your disease and age. Common treatments for COPD include bronchodilators and steroids. Other conditions may require surgery or will involve medications, oxygen, and other therapies that aim to improve quality of life. Our doctor will help determine which is right for your type of lung disease.